Print Prev. thread Next thread

Feature Focus : Color OS Camera

[Copy URL]

threads

Ollie SuperAngel (Moderator)

1000 MembersFirst Day Launch Member

Jump to a specific floor
1#
Post time 28-1-2015 00:52:48 | Show the author posts only replycredit |Descending |Reading mode
Edited by Tjoe at 28-1-2015 15:52

Feature Focus : Color OS Camera Modes

Foreword

It's come to my attention that some people don't realize just how powerful the Color OS camera system really is. Try to slap on any third party camera app, Cymera, Camera 360, Google Camera, etc etc. But you'll never get the same image quality from the default Color OS camera App. One of the reasons is because the camera app itself is closely tied with the system and intertwined with the framework of color os. Optimizing the camera app to it's max potential. However, the camera app goes way beyond than just image quality, but also the different modes also allows all the extra juicy stuff. So without further ado, here are the camera modes available.

The few modes that i'll be able to cover are
1. Ultra HD
2. Colorful Night
3. Auto panorama
4. Expert mode.
5. Beautify
6. HDR
7. After Focus
8. Super Macro
9. Raw
10. Double Exposure
11. Slow Shutter

So let's begin!!!!

Ultra HD

Normal Shot

Ultra HD

Basically, the ULTRA HD mode takes 10 photos and stitches the best 4 together to enhance your image. On the surface, You can't really tell much of a difference. But the actual truth is that there is actually more detail on the Ultra HD picture. It's not really visible unless you take your time to nitpick. But it's definitely there. It's also evident in the file size. The Ultra HD one being 9.7mb while the normal one is just a mere 3.2mb. Here's a zoomed in Cropped version for comparison. Notice the letters and the texture around it.

Normal

Ultra HD

Here you can see that the line texture is evident in the ultra HD crop. There's also noticeably less noise in comparison with the O-lens. In conclusion, this mode has the benefits of having more detail, and also some de-noise function that is well worth ur time to take.

Colorful Night

This mode generally increases your shutter speed to capture in more light and has some seriously heavy de-noise algorithm going on behind the scenes. It also enhances the contrast and saturation of the photos to make the places with light pop out more. But in compensation for the de-noising function. You will lose some details along the way, especially around the edges. But overall, if you want a contrasty, saturated photo that looks good at night (minus the details) This is a good mode to go, especially if you don't have your tripod with you.

Auto-Panaroma

Basically this mode allows you to take panaroma picture using the built in motor of the N3 for flawless stitching. All you have to do is hold your hand steady and ensure your target doesn't move about. And the result will be that perfectly stitched panaromic photo . However if your target thinks it's funny to move about and to mess around. The result will be this instead.....

Expert Mode

Expert mode gives you extra control over the white balance, Manual focus and the ISO values of your camera. Basically if the almost near perfect algorithm of the camera doesn't satisfy you, perhaps you can try using the professional mode to see if it can serve your needs. First thing to notice is the focus circle. Notice how there's a circle and a square? Basically the Square is the focus point of your camera. While the circle is focusing on the exposure point. For example, the above image has both the focal point and exposure at the same location. However if i shift the circle towards the fluroscent light at the top, you'll get...

You'll notice that eventhough the square is still focused down below, but because the exposure is different, the picture has become completely dimm. You can use this to your advantage if you want to take photo's in super bright areas like directly under the sun, or in super dark places where you can't get enough light on your face. Choosing the right exposure could be the key to getting that snazzy photo of yours.

Another thing that Expert mode allows you to do is to control the focus manually. For example, if i focus on a near object....

The Box is in view and the pc screen is blurred out..but if i focus it to infinity....

The pc screen is now in focus and it's readable while the exposure around the box has dimmed out and has become much harder to read. Therefore, you can use this mode to have higher control over your images should the need to do so arises.

Beautify Mode

We all know what beautify mode can do. Basically it enlarges your eyes, destroys those pimples, smoothen out your skin and even make you shave off some kilo's. But how much is too much? You wouldn't want people thinking that it's fake now do you? (eventhough it really is fake)

How i actually look like.

How i look like with 100% beautification on.

How i look like with my fav filter on and with 50% beautification on.

So obviously 100% is a little too much for my taste, and 50% of it is good enough to make it look believable. Nevertheless, it's a function that everybody will use if given a chance. Who doesn't wanna look handsome or pretty eh? Filters are also available, many which come pre-installed into the camera app itself. There's no shortage of selections, so choose your favourite one and take those selfies!!!

HDR

HDR or (High Dynamic Range) gives your photos the extra colour saturation boost you need by taking multiple exposures to ensure that no part is too bright, and no part is too dark for you to see. I do like HDR pictures, but they are usually over-saturated and the colours are unnatural. For photographers, that unnatural colour balance could be an issue. But for the casual instagrammer or facebook-er, You'd like to see this on your page, and people would all be like..

Another thing that you can use HDR photo for is this.

Normal Mode

HDR mode

As i mentioned earlier,  Using HDR mode can help ensure that no part of your picture is too dark or too bright. hence (High DYNAMIC RANGE)

After Focus

After focus mode was introduced on the R5 and the N3. It's name already suggests it's capability and here are some samples of it.

Here, the image is focused on the box

And here, it's focused on the coins instead. This is refocused after taking a picture.

I must say that sometimes it's a bit of a hit and miss. But you'll never know when you might wanna refocus to get a different feel of the picture.

Super Macro

Super Macro mode is a mode which gives a digital zoom to your camera to get a clearer shot of the object you wanna shoot. It's digital zoom, so i didn't expect much, but surprisingly, they can still cook up some cool pictures every now and then.

RAW

RAW format is important because it's a format used by most photographers to capture images. RAW format basically captures every single detail your camera sensor is taking in. Making it a much easier task for re-editing the photo at a later period. With RAW format, you're getting your images straight from RAW form, nothing is touched or converted or edited by the phone's algorithm. So the image stays exactly as how the sensor captures it.

You're not going to be able to tell the difference actually, but i just placed a RAW image here just for shows. hahahaha

Double Exposure

@lexansky mentioned once, why isn't double exposure used more often? For me it's for 2 reasons, It takes time, and you need either someone to take it for you, or you need a tripod. Basically this mode captures 2 photos and superimposes it on the other photo to have only 1 image. Here are some "creative" images i thought of on the fly.

Kage Bunshin no Jutsu

I will haunt you tonight.

There there, don't cry...i was just joking.....

I SAID STOP CRYING!!!!

Oh my, darn you @lexansky ....you were right..it is fun.

Slow Shutter

Last but not least, the creme de le crepe. (i think i spelled that correctly). The slow shutter mode. What's so mind boggling about this mode? It allows you to control the SHUTTER SPEED of your smartphone camera. With the exception of Nokia. No other company out there allows you to control your shutter speed. Control over your shutter speed can allow you to create some seriously cool stuff and also allow you to brighten up otherwise impossible dark scenes. here are some samples.

Capturing Stars in the Night

Mid-air Drawing in the night.

Brightening up caves!!

And you can do soooo much more with these modes.

Share with us some of your creative photo's using any of the modes available on your Oppo Model!!!!!!

Till next time!!

Full Size images are available
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127735126@N08/15771783256/
&
https://tiahoontjoe.imgur.com/all/#4

Rate

Participants 1 O-Coin +1 Pack Reason
tonychen1979 + 1 Nice!

View Rating Log

Tweet

threads

Ollie Egg

1000 Members

Recommend
Post time 17-2-2015 21:49:07 | Show the author posts only
I had to mod it to have After Focus in the camera app... (that's why TWRP and flashing the zip is necessary)
Oppo devs are a little slow regarding these little issues (little for them). It takes a day for the reported issue to get noticed.. And then a few weeks until they fix it in one of their weekly updates...

Comments

BTW, nice to see you here in the malaysian oppo Forums =) I think i've seen you on the international forums!!!  Post time 22-2-2015 08:57

threads

Ollie Egg

1000 Members

Recommend
Post time 3-2-2015 20:38:35 | Show the author posts only
Edited by LeeGadget at 3-2-2015 21:32

Where is the slow shutter functon?
Edited: My mistake. N3 don't have slow shutter.
Sorry

Comments

Though it may not have the slow shutter function, I realized that it did intelligently increase the shutter length by itself.  detail Reply Post time 3-2-2015 22:16

threads

Ollie Egg

2#
Post time 28-1-2015 21:34:03 | Show the author posts only
Too bad find7 model is not support with after focus feature due to hardware limitation...
no software alternative approach instead?

Comments

uhhhmmm so far, i know that it's limited by hardware. but to me it seems more like software processing that gives u that result...hence..why i say it's a hit n miss.  Post time 28-1-2015 21:43

threads

Ollie Egg

1000 Members

3#
Post time 29-1-2015 23:34:19 | Show the author posts only
where i can download ?

Comments

What would you like to download???  detail Reply Post time 30-1-2015 01:05

threads

4#
 Author| Post time 30-1-2015 01:05:50 | Show the author posts only
nasdebuchy replied at 29-1-2015 22:34
where i can download ?

What would you like to download???

threads

6#
 Author| Post time 3-2-2015 22:16:27 | Show the author posts only
LeeGadget replied at 3-2-2015 20:38
Where is the slow shutter functon?
Edited: My mistake. N3 don't have slow shutter.
Sorry

Though it may not have the slow shutter function, I realized that it did intelligently increase the shutter length by itself.

threads

Ollie Egg

1000 Members

7#
Post time 17-2-2015 20:04:18 | Show the author posts only
ericjj replied at 28-1-2015 21:34
Too bad find7 model is not support with after focus feature due to hardware limitation...
no softwar ...

Actually, it's not limited by HW. It's just that the developers added drivers for it in the 4.4.4 version of Android (Chinese Color OS 2.0.45+). The Int'l version 2.0.6i is still on 4.4.2.

If you are using the chinese ROM, you can install After Focus (you'll need TWRP recovery).
More on this here.

threads

8#
 Author| Post time 17-2-2015 20:49:33 | Show the author posts only
I guess the trouble is the need to flash twrp. But then again..if you're running Chinese color os..you would probably have already flashed twrp to get gapps.

running the latest beta on 4.4.4. Was hoping that they'd include it in the camera app, after all, it's virtually runnIng on the same hardware

threads

10#
 Author| Post time 18-2-2015 00:49:38 | Show the author posts only
Well, technically speaking, the lack of after focus isn't exactly an issue. haha
12Next
Return to list Add thread
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Copyright © ColorOS 2015. All Rights Reserved.
Quick reply Top